Friday, December 28, 2012

Swiss Transport Museum

Spent 1 hour and a half at the train section of the swiss transport museum. Continued to experiment with toned paper and marker. Used Staedler 0.3 and Copic W3. Botched perspective in some sketches. Always more difficult on location than at home.
The Sulzer diesel/electric car was difficult to do. Was surprised by the size of it. I think I almost got the overall shape correct but I couldn't get the details correctly. There is so much going on and I am losing patience quickly and the shortcuts are not effective.


After that, was completely drained so I just sketched some objects from and exhibit showing stationmasters equipement.  Looking at the page now, I think the values are not strong enough. I need need to push the black more and maybe put some white. What do you think?  



2 comments:

  1. I think you did a marvelous job! Trains are so massive, they are almost impossible to draw from observation. It appears the trick is in conceptualising the object and drawing what you think, using immediate observation for the detals in the focal area. At least that's how I approach very large objects.

    But you seem to have no problem drawing the beast from observation. Very inspiring work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! Yeah the scale is the challenge with locomotive. Especially if they are packed in a room, you can forget the side view. (the one I sketched was outside so it was easier). I agree with you, if you can understand the shapes and proportions, you can draw it from any angle (minus the details of course) that's why I have found this sketching method (the one taught in Peter's class) to be so appealing. I still have a lot of problems gauging the proportions and execute the perspective without errors but I least I feel now it's a question of milage.

    ReplyDelete