Sunday, January 27, 2013

Urgeschichte Museum Zug

Did a page at the "Museum für Urgeschicthe(n)" in Zug. Mostly archeological stuff from stone age till the roman periodthey. The museum is very well done but from a sketching perspective, there is nothing very interesting to draw. The museum was closed when I came in so while waiting I sketched an industrial building from early 1900. Irrelevant trivia: the company who owned the building, Landys & Gyr, recently got bought by Toshiba. On the technical side, one of the problem I have is putting the shadows correctly. Some objects are ok but others are a train wreck. Will work on that. In theory, it's simple.

Encouraged by Steve, I also attempted some watercolor today.
These are again toys from my son. Didn't know what I was doing, the staedtler pen started to bleed but overall, I am very happy with the results.  

2 comments:

  1. Great sketches, as always, and excellent watercolor! Good job trying something new!

    If you need a quick breakdown of shadow theory and practice, you can find the essentials covered here:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/shadow-properties/
    and here:
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2007/12/albino-frogs-occlusion-shadows.html

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitri! These are very good references. I am also watching the Scott Robertson Dvds on mate rendering which explains the theory with plenty examples. In real life, I have trouble having a clear idea about where are the light sources and I tend to cross hatch generically without trying to be consistent. That's an aspect I plan to be more mindful of.

      Delete